What are the types of vehicle insurance, and how much should I have?

If you are injured in an accident in Minnesota or North Dakota, your own auto insurance will begin to pay your medical bills, wage loss, and some out-of-pocket expenses, regardless of who was at fault for the accident. This coverage is called no-fault or PIP coverage. In Minnesota, this covers up to $20,000 of medical costs and $20,000 of wage loss. In North Dakota, this covers $30,000 of these same losses. 

It is very important to note that the basic motorcycle policy does not provide PIP (Personal Injury Protection) coverage as would be included in an auto policy. An additional endorsement could be added to your liability insurance to provide such first-party medical coverage, in the event you want to be reimbursed for bodily injury expenses you incurred while on your motorcycle.

Your auto insurance policy includes other coverage as well. Liability coverage covers you if you negligently injure another person in an accident. Collision coverage pays for damage to your vehicle. Comprehensive coverage pays for hail damage, windshield replacement, vandalism and related expenses. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) coverage pays for your damages if the other driver at fault for the accident didn’t have insurance or didn’t have enough insurance to pay the full extent of your damages. You should purchase as much coverage as you can reasonably afford, remembering that it is PIP and UM/UIM coverage that protect you and your family in the event of an injury.